Policies and Information

Lincoln University offers the following undergraduate degrees:
Bachelor of Science in Diagnostic Imaging (BS in DI)
Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration (BA in BA)
Students in the Bachelor  of Arts program may choose the following optional 18-units minors:
1) Humanities; 2) Information Technology

Lincoln University offers the following graduate degrees:
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Master of Science in International Business (MS in IB)
Master of Science in Finance Management (MS in FM)
Doctor of Business Administration (DBA)

Graduation Requirements for Degrees

Undergraduate Degrees

Completion of a minimum of 122 units for BS in DI, or 123 units for BA in BA.

  •  Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
  •  Completion of the required units designated by the major area with a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
  •  Completion of the general education and externship (for BS) requirements.
Graduate Degrees
  • Completion of a minimum of 36 units of graduate coursework for MBA, MS in IB, MS in FM, and 93 units for  DBA, including core requirements, specific area of concentration requirements, and thesis defense or an examination for MBA or dissertation defense for DBA.
  • Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher for MBA, MS in IB, and MS in FM; 3.2 or higher for DBA.

All above-mentioned requirements must be verified and approved for a degree completion by the Registrar. Candidates must settle all financial and document obligations before graduation. Students may meet the graduation requirements as stated in the catalog under which they enrolled, provided they maintain continuous enrollment and make normal progress toward a degree. The maximum time permitted for a degree completion (MTDC) is:

Bachelor’s degree programs: six (6) years for full-time students (taking 24 units per year at the  minimum), ten (10) years for part-time students.

Master’s degree programs: three (3) years for full-time students (taking 18 units per year at the minimum), six (6) years for part-time students.

Doctor’s degree program: seven and a half (7.5) years for full-time students (taking 18 units per year at the minimum), ten (10) years for part-time students.

If a student re-enrolls at the University after withdrawal, he/she must follow graduation requirements stated in the catalog current for the re-enrollment. Students who change their program according to a subsequent catalog edition must meet all requirements for graduation as stated in that catalog.

The US Department of Homeland Security requires foreign students to maintain full-time educational load and to meet the financial obligations during their stay in the United States to qualify for the F-1 visa status.

Individual Responsibility

Lincoln University relies upon the individual responsibility and a cooperative spirit of the members of our community. The University assumes that our students will follow the standards of maturity, responsibility, and ethics.

The University reserves the right to reject giving a credit, degree, or diploma to students whose dishonesty, violation of the law, or unethical behavior in any form has been confirmed. Any form of dishonesty, irresponsible behavior, or violation of the law will result in punitive action.

The types of action may include probation, suspension, and dismissal. The office of the Registrar imposes an academic probation and then the office of Admissions and Records imposes a suspension if necessary. The Registrar use same punitive actions by a request from an instructor for inappropriate student’s behavior in class. The Administrative Vice-President approves dismissals. All these actions may be appealed by procedure described on page 31 of LU Catalog.

Continuous Enrollment

In order to maintain continuous enrollment at Lincoln University, students must register in each successive semester (excluding Summer session) until the degree requirements are completed. Continuous enrollment is required for international students (except due to medical conditions and/or travel to home country for a reason) and students enrolled in cohort groups.

Grading, Evaluation, Grade Points and GPA

A letter grade is used in evaluating the work for a course. Grade requirements are announced in the syllabus of each course, and grades are earned based on attendance, written work, and examinations. In all degree programs, the minimum passing grade to receive credit is “D”. Grade points are granted corresponding to a letter grade (see chart below) multiplied by the number of units of a course for determining students’ academic standing and awarding honors. The grade point average (GPA) is the total number of grade points earned for a period of study divided by the total number of units completed with letter grades during the same period.

Credit is given for a symbol-grade (CR); no credit is given for a symbol-grade (NC). These grades  and related credit units are not included in the GPA calculations. A student may request a CR/NC grading option instead of a letter grade. BS/BA students may have a CR or NC symbol-grade for a maximum of two times in the entire program and only for general education courses. A regular graduate student may have CR or NC symbol-grades for foundation or special courses that are designed for those grades only.

The grading system is as follows:

Grade Definition Number of grade points per course unit
A Superior 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B Above Average 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C Average 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D Passing 1.0
F Failure 0.0

No credit is given for the following symbols: withdrawn – W (it can be assigned only before 75% of teaching of a course has been completed); incomplete – I; repeated course – R; no basis for grade – Y; or in progress (IP). These symbols are not included in the GPA calculations.

Symbol Definition
CR Credit
I Incomplete
IP In Progress
NC No Credit
R Repeated
W Withdrawn
Y No Basis for Grade

Incomplete and In Progress Coursework

The symbol “I” (Incomplete) denotes that a student’s work was of passing quality through at least 75% of the course, but incomplete for a valid, documented reason. Students need to complete missing assignments and tests or retake the course. No tuition is required for completing a course with an “I” symbol. The symbol “IP” (In Progress) denotes that student work needs to be continued in the  following semester only for courses allowing such extension. In some cases, it may require registration of additional units. If “I” or “IP” symbols are not converted to a grade during the following semester, the Registrar will change them to “Y”.

Repeated Courses

A student may repeat a course in which a grade was previously earned. When a course is repeated, the last grade and credit units earned replace the previous grade and units in computing the student’s GPA. A designation of “R” will be entered for the previous attempt on the student’s academic records.

Withdrawal from a Course

A student withdrawing from a course before 75% of its completion will receive “W” symbol and a partial tuition refund following the refund procedure (page 23). Students withdrawing after the 75% completion deadline and before the final are not eligible for a refund and will receive “Y” symbol. Situations of “I” symbol are not considered withdrawals. No withdrawal is allowed after finals.

Change of Grade

Final grades are considered permanent and not to be changed, except in a case of clerical error, making up missing student work, or other circumstances as determined by the instructor, subject to the approval of the Provost and the Registrar. A change of grade must be completed no later than one year following the course. In some cases, additional work and registration of extra units may be required. Change of Grade forms can be obtained from the Registrar’s Office. Students wishing to appeal a specific grade may do so under the student grievances procedure (described on page 31).

Policy of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

All students, enrolled in a degree program, undergraduate or graduate, part-time or full-time, regular or conditional, must meet minimum standards of academic achievement and successful course completion while enrolled at Lincoln University. The University requires that all courses be successfully completed in a specified time period in order to allow students’ graduation from its program.

Students’ results are reviewed by the Registrar’s Office at the end of each semester, in order to determine if adequate progress has been made to complete the desired degree in the time frame allowed by the University. Adequate progress (AP) is defined as the total number of credit units required for graduation in the designated program divided by maximum number of years for the student classification. If cumulative AP indicates that sufficient progress has not occurred (number of total earned credit units is less than AP multiplied by the number of years of study), the student may continue enrollment under academic probation for one term. If the deficiency is not corrected by the end of the term, the student will be suspended, dismissed, or placed in an extended enrollment status.

A student’s academic performance is evaluated at certain predetermined points in time, based on the percentage of semester credit hours attempted. These evaluation points occur at least once in each academic year, and at the one-quarter point and midpoint of the maximum time periods of education. The periods for completion of parts of programs are expressed in terms of 1.5 times the number of credit units required for their completion. For the BS degree, the maximum number of attempted units permitted is 184; for the BA degree it is 185 units, for the MBA and MS degrees it is 54 units, and for the DBA degree it is 140 units. These figures represent the maximum number of credit hours that can be attempted before being disqualified as a degree-seeking student.

If a student fails, at the one-quarter-evaluation point, to meet the minimum academic achievement or successful credit completion standards, he/she may continue at Lincoln University as a probationary student. If a student fails to meet the minimum academic achievement or successful credit completion standards at the mid-point evaluation, he/she is not eligible for the university scholarship funds  or financial aid, may not be placed on probation, and must be dismissed unless he/she is placed in an extended enrollment status. If approved by the Provost, the student may continue as a conditional one in an extended enrollment status in order to retake courses in which he/she was previously unsuccessful. If a student demonstrates, after retaking the courses, that he/she is academically and motivationally prepared to continue in the program, so that the recalculated GPA and successful semester-credit completion rate meets or exceed the minimum requirements, the student may be reinstated as a probationary student until the following evaluation. The Registrar must approve the reinstatement. Grades earned as a probationary student previously or during the extended enrollment period as a conditional student may substitute for the previous failures in the calculation of the resulting student’s GPA. Detailed criteria for SAP are specified with a chart in each program’s description.

Prior to the mid-point evaluation, a student in the BS and BA programs who falls below the required minimum cumulative GPA for the first time may be allowed to continue his/her enrollment under academic probation for up to two terms. If the grade point average does not improve during the probationary period, the student will be suspended for one term, after which he/she may apply for readmission following the normal re-enrollment procedures, or the student may be dismissed. Students maintaining the minimum overall standards for academic achievement and successful credit completion in these programs must also complete the required units designated by the major area, with a minimum GPA of 2.0 or higher. See the SAP charts on pages 37 for BA and 66 for BS programs.

Continuing graduate enrollment requires the progressive maintenance of a minimum cumulative GPA starting with 2.7 (MBA and MS) or 3.0 (DBA) and following the SAP charts on pages 47 (for MBA), 52 (for MS), and 62 (for DBA). Prior to the mid-point evaluation, should the grade point average fall below 2.9 (MBA and MS) or 3.1 (DBA), the student will be placed on academic probation for one term. Failure to attain a grade point average of 3.0 (MBA and MS) or 3.2 (DBA) at the end of that term will result in suspension for one term, after which the student may apply for readmission according to the normal re- enrollment procedures, or the student may be dismissed.

Units of credit accepted on transfers are recorded, but quality points from other institutions are not included in the GPA and SAP calculations. Transferred credit units influence SAP by redefining the required minimum credit units earned (course completion percentage) at each point of evaluation; transfer credit units are added to minimum credit units must be earned in the SAP charts stated above.

The estimated time for a degree completion (ETDC) is influenced by the transferred credit units and the supplemental/foundation courses units, calculated during registration, and is determined by the formulas:

for BS and BA degrees: MTDC (in semesters) = 8 – (the number of transferred credit units)/12,

for MBA and MS degrees: MTDC (in semesters) = 4 – (the number of transferred credit units)/9,

for DBA degree: MTDC (in semesters) = 11 – (the number of transferred credit units)/9.

Students who seek to earn an additional degree and wish to use part of credit units received earlier are treated in the same way as students transferring credit units from other schools.

The impact of the non-punitive grade on satisfactory progress is as follows: credit is given for the non- punitive Credit (CR) grade and is included in the calculation of a student’s maximum program length and credit limits but excluded from the grade point average. No credit is given for the following grade or symbols: no credit (NC), withdrawal (W), incomplete (I), no basis for grade (Y), or in progress (IP), which are included in the calculation of a student’s maximum program length and credit limits but excluded from calculations of the grade point average. When a course is repeated (R), the last grade and credit units earned replace the previous grade and credit units. Duplicate credit units are not given for two or more passing efforts. Only the last grade and credit are included in the calculation of a student’s GPA, but all courses are included in maximum program length and credit limits. The “F” grade (failure) is included in the calculation of the student’s GPA, maximum program length, and credit limits.

Satisfactory attendance history is required for continued enrollment. Unsatisfactory attendance may result in dismissal from classes during the currently enrolled term.

The student seeking a leave of absence or temporary waiver from the standards of satisfactory academic progress due to poor health, family crisis, or other significant circumstances beyond his/her control should first get an approval from the Provost. The student should submit a written application and provide documentation to demonstrate that these circumstances had an adverse impact on his/her satisfactory progress. Based on the Provost’s recommendation, the Director of Admissions and Records may grant the request. Time for the approved leave of absence will not be included in the calculation of a student’s maximum program length.

Appeal a Determination of Not Making Satisfactory Progress or Other Academic and Administrative Grievances Procedure

Should a student disagree with the application of the University policy of Satisfactory Academic Progress or has an academic or administrative grievance (including attendance issues), he/she must first discuss the problem with the appropriate instructor/advisor. If still unsatisfied, the student may then appeal to the related Dean or Program director. If the student is not satisfied with the decision, further appeal should be directed to the Provost or Administrative Vice-President (AVP) depends of the matter of the problem. The appeal should be filed no later than ten days following the date of the Dean or Director’s decision. It must be made in a timely manner to avoid delays in properly registering for the coursework to maintain satisfactory progress and/or attendance to courses. All appeals must be in writing and must contain a detailed description of any mitigating or special circumstances and should be accompanied by documented proofs.

The Provost/AVP will appoint a Committee consisting of three members from the faculty/staff. The Provost/AVP may, at his/her discretion, also elect to appoint a student member of the Committee. Every effort should be done to ensure that a fair, impartial and representative Committee hears the matter. The Provost/AVP Office shall give the respondent notification in writing that a grievance has been filed, as well as a copy of the grievance and provide a copy of the response to the complainant. The following standards for the investigation will be observed:

  1. In conducting the investigation, the Committee shall receive and review the grievance, the response, and other pertinent statements or documents in confidence.
  2. The complainant and respondent shall be given the opportunity to respond to one another’s statements, and to present witnesses or concerned parties in conformity to the evidence presented.
  3. When, in the judgment of the Committee, the positions of the complainant and respondent have been equitably heard, the Committee shall submit a written report to the President. The President will make the decision regarding any action taken. Then appeals can be filed with the Board of Trustees through the office of the President. The Board may reject consideration of some appeals.


Because Lincoln University’s programs are based upon the active participation of all class members, regular attendance at classes is essential. Each student is expected to be present for scheduled class periods, to be punctual, and to remain in class for the entire scheduled period. Excessive absence or tardiness may result in loss of credit, lowering of grade, or dismissal from a course and then, if not fixed, from the university.

Administrative policies on absences from classes are as follows:

  • A student receives a warning notice after missing 20% of class meetings completed in a course.
  • A student is placed on probation after missing 30% of class meetings completed in a course.
  • A student may be dismissed after missing 40% of class meetings completed in a course.

Absences covering emergencies as serious illness or similar may be excused by the Director of Admissions and Records for a period of up to 21 days, provided the absence is properly documented. If the Office receives no proper documents, the student will be considered as having no excuse, and appropriate action will be taken. Instructors may dismiss a student from a course after missing 3 consecutive class meetings by reporting to the Registrar.

The University is required by the United States Department of Homeland Security to report all foreign students who are dropped for excessive absences.

Credit By Examination

With the permission of the President or the Provost, a student can challenge a course requesting examination by a faculty member teaching the course. The student must register for the course and pay for the credit units received by such examination.

Special Studies

With the consent of the President or the Provost and the instructor who will conduct the course, a student may enroll in the course delivered as a special study. The instructor chooses teaching model of special studies. Normally undergraduate students are not permitted to take more than four courses of special studies, and graduate students are not permitted to take more than two (MBA and MS) or four (DBA) special studies courses, in the entire programs. Students can take at most one special study course per term. The overall program credit limitations may be exceeded only for substantive reasons, such as: a schedule conflict between two courses which are both required (especially if the student is graduating in that term); or a conflict between class schedule and work; or medical reasons. The reasons should be documented and approved by the President or the Provost.

Excessive Course Load

Undergraduate students who wish to register for more than 24 units in a semester (12 units in a Summer session) and graduate students who wish to register for more than 18 units in a semester (9 units in a Summer session) must secure the approval of the Provost.

Course Cancellation

The University reserves the right to cancel a course with an enrollment of fewer than ten students.

Leave of Absence

A student who finds it necessary to withdraw or delay his/her education for one or more semesters must submit a written request for leave of absence to the Provost. All international students must consult with the Designated School Official (DSO) before submitting such request.

Auditor Status (Non-Degree Students)

Individuals registering for courses without applying for a degree are considered auditors. Normally, a student is required to declare his/her intention to enroll on an auditor basis at the time of registration for the course. A student may change registration from auditor to regular status or conversely change from regular to auditor status. The student must make this declaration in writing on the Change of Program form within the first six weeks of the semester. A written statement and approval from a Provost is necessary in order that courses taken by an auditor are applied to a degree.

Change of Concentration and Second Concentration Option

Students changing their concentration need to provide a written request and sign another enrollment agreement corresponding to the current catalog. Students who have already completed a program at Lincoln University and would like to take an additional concentration or some extra courses in the same program may register for the courses as auditors if space in the classes is available.

Academic Advising

Academic advising is provided throughout the whole academic cycle, and specifically during the registration process. The President, Provost, Registrar, Department Chairs, Program Director, and Faculty members are available to counsel students concerning special problems.

Semester Academic Achievement List

Students, who have maintained a GPA of 3.6 or higher in a semester, taking at least 9 units of courses graded with a letter grade, will be placed on the Semester Academic Achievement List for the achievement in that semester.

Special Recognition at Graduation

Graduation honors are given to students graduating Lincoln University with high Cumulative GPAs (CGPA). All Lincoln University grades are considered in calculating the CGPA for honors.

Bachelor’s degree candidates will receive special recognition awards: “President’s Award” for a CGPA of 3.8, and “University Award” for a CGPA of 3.9 or 4.0 if they complete a program taking at least 36 credits of courses graded with letter grades.

Graduate degrees candidates will receive “President’s Award” for CGPA 3.9 and “University Award” for CGPA 4.0 at the completion of their programs.

Request for Diploma and Transcripts

Students who expect to graduate and receive a degree diploma should submit a Request for Diploma and Transcript to the Registrar’s Office. It initiates a review of all academic work undertaken at Lincoln University and a validation of the student’s successful completion of the program requirements. A fee is assessed on students submitting the request. Transcripts and diploma are issued once the fee is paid.

Obtaining Additional Transcripts

Students and graduates may obtain additional transcripts of their academic record by submitting a Transcript Request Form to the Registrar’s Office.

Regular service takes five business days and is mailed via regular USPS mail. A fee of $8.00 is charged for each official transcript (bearing the seal of the University and the Registrar’s signature). Express service (one working day) is available for $25.00 per copy (the request must be submitted by 3:00 PM). Students wishing to expedite delivery should pay for the additional shipping charges (the prices may vary) to use express courier services, such as UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.

Request for Participation in Commencement Ceremony

Students who expect to graduate and wish to participate in the commencement ceremony of a year should file a Request for Participation in Commencement Ceremony.

Retention of Student Educational Records

Students have a right to access his/her records maintained by the University. The University maintains educational records of all students permanently. The educational records include documents related to admissions, enrollment agreement, course grades, and related academic information. These records are kept under the custody of the Director of Records, who ensures that the privacy and confidentiality of all student records are protected under the applicable law.

The University fully incorporates the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) in its entirety. A written consent from the student is required before educational records may be disclosed to third parties except for regulatory educational agencies.

A student seeking to review his/her educational records must submit a written request to the Records Office. The school is not responsible for loss of records due to nature, war, and destruction as a result of severe weather, vandalism, or acts of terrorism, etc.